Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Tuesday, July 28

The Simple Pleasures Of Public Transport

I'm delighted to have discovered a new fine-day activity. As an at-home parent, you can never have too many. In this case I'm also embarrassed. This one should have been obvious.

Pack the boy into the Baby Bjorn, hop on a bus for the 10 minute ride to the Queen Victoria Building, take a leisurely stroll among the suits and the shops and, using this to progress towards Circular Quay, catch a ferry back to Balmain East.

Strapped into the carrier, Austin can face forward, catch new views and interact with those warm enough to respond to his waves, smiles and babbles.

On the ferry he loves to stand at the stern and watch the water rumble and foam. There are new faces too, and yesterday I caught him looking up in what appeared to be amazement as we passed by the Opera House.

Simple pleasures that have until now been denied my young lad.

What's more, even with two of these under our belts in the past week, Austin has still only had three rides on a Sydney Ferry since we arrived back from London in January.

Okay, they're no longer the same well-run company with the perfect safety record, but it's still the best way to see the city. And if you're not engaging with the harbour, you're really not in Sydney.

Sure, Dad, but three in seven months?

It's natural for parents to focus on the advantages of taking the car; so much so that you can easily forget the fun kids have on public transport. There are people to look at, sights to see, tickets to hold and buttons to push.

I should know. My Mum bused us everywhere as kids and I didn't get my licence until I was 20. Friends used to tease me about becoming a bus driver and at least one Christchurch pal still thinks this might one day happen.

This extensive experience is yet another reason why we should have hit the town earlier. I'm making up for it though - yesterday I purchased a ten trip ferry pass, so Austin can rest assured that there are at least another nine such adventures on the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment