Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Wednesday, June 24

Books. Books. Books. Books.

Oh my god! I think my son is going to be a librarian!

And that could well be just fine, but I can't help but think of the 1946 classic It's a Wonderful Life and the stark contrast between the mousy, spinster librarian Donna Reed who grew up in a Bedford Falls without Jimmy Stewart and the gorgeous, vivacious Donna Reed who married the Jimmy Stewart that never left.

I know there's more to it than this. And who wouldn't want their kid to quickly establish a love of books?

It's just the way this has manifest itself.

Austin has always enjoyed having books read to him; That's Not My Train being an early favourite. A month or so ago he went into second gear, sitting happily in his room at the base of his bookshelf, from which he would pull down a book and flick through its pages. A pile would quickly build up around him. It was very sweet.

His latest passion is to collect a book from his room and bring it to the couch. Once he has three or four, he stands by the pile as if waiting for library members. Being one of these (it's my son's library; of course I'm a member), I take the book and thank him for it.

Over and over.

There is an occasional variation. Some books need to be read to the librarian. For the past two days this has without exception been Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy.

Over and over.

It's pretty cute, actually. And, like I said, it's great to have a kid who loves books so much. I also realise there's a fair chance it's just a phase. It has to be - we haven't had fireman or astronaut yet.

There's time for those, of course, and they too will pass before he inevitably hones in on professional footballer or winemaker.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for my little reader. Aunty Rachel is so proud of you Austin. I wish I could come to the Library too.

    ReplyDelete