Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Saturday, June 20

The Art of the Weekend Post

This isn't a rant about mail. There is no weekend post in Australia.

The issue is that weekend blog posts can be difficult. Sure I have more time, but with Kate at home I'm not in full stay-at-home dad mode and that, after all, is what this blog is supposed to be about. And was, until the rain came.

Bloody rain. Bloody Australia Post.

In the interests of momentum I thought I return you to a posting past - ironically from a Saturday back in March, a week before Austin's birthday and that Texas cake. It about a theme song that remains perfect, if long since listened to.

It also give the marketer in me a chance to push the Mrs C Recommends link in the 'Confessions by Topic' menu on the right hand side of the page. This is Kate's idea of the blog's greatest hits. That may seem premature, and too many artists these days use the greatest hits play where studio album numer three should go, but without this genre a generation of Neil Diamond fans would still think his career began with E.T.

So here it is. Call me lazy, but it is the weekend. It's also not raining, so my time is better spent outside.

Old CD, New Theme Song
SATURDAY 28 MARCH

One thing I was really looking forward to upon returning to Sydney was a chicken schnitzel at Una’s in Darlinghurst. Another was reacquainting myself with my CD collection.

It kinda went to London with me, stripped of its physical presence and loaded to my iPod, but there’s nothing like slipping a disc into a stereo and leafing through the sleeve notes.

Such is the pleasure this gives me that I now have piles of CDs next to each of our stereos, and every now and then I indulge myself with a fossick through the cupboard to find some more to top these up.

Today’s indulgence led me to a long-forgotten sampler CD from now-defunct Melbourne label Candle Records. It kicks off with a gem of a tune, Stepford Husband by Tim Oxley, which I instantly selected as my new theme song.

It wasn’t that I was looking for a theme song - nor have I recently been watching Ally McBeal - but once it leapt out of the speakers it was obvious that it had to be. It starts thus:

Washing up is fun
Unless you do it five times in one day
Then it’s not

I follow my kids around
Picking up their things and putting them back down
Then I pick them up again

Stepford Husband style
You walk a lot of miles
Around the house

Another gem I was delighted to rediscover is a DVD of Candle Records' 10th birthday concert tour from 2004, which Kate and I saw the Sydney leg of at the Metro. Alas, Tim does not feature. He does, however, have a MySpace page, streaming on which is a new song call House Husband.

Not as good its Stepford cousin though, so I’m sticking with the theme song I’ve got.

No comments:

Post a Comment