Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Wednesday, December 2

Two Worlds Collide

You’d like to think the last week would be a highlights reel - one more of all the great things so you can soak them up before they disappear.

Or maybe that’s just me.

Maybe, too, it’s best that you apply the band-aid logic. If it happens fast and is all of a blur then you won’t notice the pain.

In reality, neither of these things are happening. My final week as an at-home dad has been about juggling roles and responsibilities. Two mornings is a row I was on calls to the U.S. when I should have been giving Austin his breakfast, or at least watching the Today show with him.

We took a suit to the drycleaner when we should have been at the park, Tuesday’s playgroup was scrapped because we had to visit his new daycare centre and Kate worked from home this afternoon so while Austin slept I could be in North Sydney at a client meeting.

And that sleep was one of my last chances to have a cheeky glass of wine and get into trouble on Grays Online.

Thankfully, tomorrow should bring some sanity. Friday too I hope. Nothing will stop us going to our main playgroup on Thursday. There are some friends to see one last time. I also have to tell them I can no longer be a coordinator. Or Santa.

We’ll pay a visit to our café on the way there and shop for shoe bargains on the way home. That’s they way we’ve always done it and it will be nice to do it just once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment