Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Sunday, November 15

The Sharp Edge of the Inner Circle

I walked away from Tuesday’s playgroup annoyed with the child who had so aggressively pushed Austin into the steel gate. I walked away from Thursday’s a signatory to the bank account.

What ever happened to see-saws and finger painting?

Still, I remain philosophical. Little Shover Boy will get his comeuppance and I don’t mind doing my bit to keep the Thursday group ticking over.

And perhaps like Austin, so skinny and mild-mannered, I was also an easy target. For the past three weeks I’ve been arriving early to open the hall and set out the toys. I also recently bolstered the take from a cupcake stall by raffling off a voucher I’d secured from our local celebrity pastry chef, Adriano Zumbo.

The one thing I didn’t do is attend last week’s AGM, but then it is important to maintain some sort of work-life balance.

Or is that just a Gen-Y thing?

The irony, of course, other than the fact that I can go to the beach when Gen-Y are at the office, is that it has taken the best part of ten months to be fully accepted by the playgroup’s inner circle. And that two of the best friends I’d made in the meantime upped and moved to another group closer to home just as I was getting drawn into the cake stall fundraiser.

Now I’m going nowhere, but at least I’ll have a say on how we spend the funds so stylishly raised. And Austin does so love those ride-in police cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment