Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Wednesday, July 8

An Eye For A Bargain

I've been in PR for eleven years, so I know there's no easy way to say "honey, while you were at work I bought a circular saw, belt sander, vertical line generator and an extraordinarily powerful rotary hammer drill."

I thought about wrapping them up with little 'Happy Father's Day' cards and hiding them under the bed, but that would just be delaying the inevitable.

Albeit delaying all the way until September.

Part of the problem is that I only wanted a new drill, and even then needed one less than I did back in March when I managed with one borrowed from a friend. The other stuff we might need if we were doing work on our house, but that's in another country.

Anyone psycho-analysing this could be thinking that I've been emasculated by my at-home role and am compensating by purchasing hi-spec power tools.

Nah, I'm the guy with tremendous foresight and an eye for a bargain. This kit is worth $2,200 but I paid less than a tenth of that.

Even the Kerrigans would be impressed.

Alas, Kate is not is Kerrigan. And I'm not one to run and hide. I'll be taking full responsibility for my investments, even though my mate Aaron is so obviously at fault.

He's the one who told me Bunnings had ended its relationship with GMC and that their products were now the subject of a massive Grays Online auction. He's the one who invited me over for a gin and tonic and then brought out his laptop so we could check it out.

Come to think of it, he did everything except buy the nail gun which would have so nicely rounded off our collection. Mind you, he is the one planning some home renovations, at which point I will at least get to take these toys out of their boxes.

And that will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment