Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Tuesday, May 26

Two Strike Tucker

The slice of pear was just the first taste of lunch but its contact with the floor put the boy on Strike One. Another and lunch would be over. Anything tossed to the ground would do it - a piece of finger food, a spoon from his main course.

A strike is a strike.

Welcome the world of Tracy Hogg, author of The Baby Whisperer. The book's subtitle says it 'solves all your problems' and what few we've had it generally has. At least that's my understanding - being a bloke I've not actually read it. As stay-at-home dad I probably should, but thankfully Kate was smart enough to uncover the two strike rule and tell me what I needed to do.

Thanks to baseball, this didn't take long. There was even enough time left in the ad break to get another beer.

Enough tomfoolery. This is a serious and terribly important parenting project. The Rule was our solution to Austin's obsession with tossing food to the floor if done with or dissatisfactory - something which, if left till boarding school age, could get darn right embarrassing.

Thankfully, the Baby Whisperer had a plan. One based on tough love, sure, but as far as we were concerned one well worth a crack.

Well worth it indeed. Two days in and I've only once had to call off a meal. Most get to Strike One before Austin remembers where the line is drawn. Even his early foul play with today's pear was backed up with an otherwise faultless performance.

It's enough to make you wonder what other gems the Baby Whisperer has up her sleeve. I'm sure there are a few. I also know Kate will tell me about them when I need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment