Superdad.com.au is all about the joys, challenges and lessons of being a bloke in the role of primary caregiver.

From January to December 2009 I had the pleasure of being at home with my eldest son, Austin, for months nine to 19 of his young life. It was a blast, but it wasn't all easy.

This site captures it all. From self-feeding to potting training; the politics of playgroup and the suspicious looks from all those mums on the high street. There's recipes, activities and road trips. There's SAHD news from around the world. There's things not to do on online auctions - no matter how long your child's afternoon sleep.

It may inform, inspire or amuse. Heck, it might just do all three.

Wednesday, April 1

Taking Vegetables Britannia From A Baby

Yesterday, middle of the afternoon. I was hungry. Nothing in the fridge took my fancy.

Then I had a brilliant idea. That mash potato thing Austin had for lunch would be fantastic between two slices of white toast. That mash potato thing is just what I want.

I opened the freezer but paused for a minute to consider the obvious ethical question: is it right for a parent to eat their child’s food?

Yes it seemed a bit iffy, but it wasn’t like I was scooping it off his plate while he hung his mouth open like a fairground clown. I merely taking a couple of ice cubes worth out of the freezer and heating them up.

What’s more, I had been the one who took the time and effort to create this frozen stash and would happily do so again in order to replenish his supply.

It’s practically a win-win.

It’s also bloody delicious. Despite the big name – inspired by its two primary ingredients and a tribute to Austin’s country of birth – it’s nothing more than mashed potato, peas, onion, parsley and cheese. That said, if you sauté just the right amount of onion and add the peas after mashing the potato, this is a rather delectable dish.

And I was right: fantastic between two slice of white toast.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with stealing a baby's food. Joe can swing his arms furiously all he likes but he can't stop me eating his entire tub of CalciYum (the Dairy Food of our youth repackaged with the Heart Foundation tick!

    Also because he still doesn't eat any thing with his hands what else am I meant to do with the crackers, raisons and other detritus that remain all over the high chair tray at the end of every meal?

    Other delicious babyfood:
    Alpahspagetti out of a jar but needs sh*tloads of salt.

    ReplyDelete